Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Training in the New Year

Training has been really good so far this (short) year. I am able to do things now that I did in season last year which mean that either a) I am still improving or b) I didn't take enough time off after Clearwater and my body didn't de-train enough. I would like to think that it is option A!

I am sure those of you who go to the gym on a regular basis have noticed an increase in traffic since the first of the year (master of the understatement aren't I?). I have to tell you I have really mixed feelings about this. One one hand (and especially as a fitness professional) I hope that some of these people have made a positive change in their life and will continue to workout and become more healthy and happy people. Sadly though this isn't the case for the majority and this is where my snarkier side comes out. It took me 20 minutes to check in the kids the other night (normally takes 2 at most) and then by the time I made it out to the pool, every lane was full of people doing their best pool floaty impression. Fortunately one guy took pity on me and got out so I was able to get some of a workout in, but not the entire thing. The good thing is it will be February soon and most of these folks will be back eating Cheetoes and watching TV instead of floating around in the pool aimlessly.

Happy workouts!

3 comments:

rhodespedal said...

Snarky... I love that word :-)

Kevin said...

Yeah, I have definitely noticed the January rush at Lifetime. I was lucky last night that the pool was completely empty. Of course then we got pulled out of the pool because of a tornado watch

Heather said...

I have the same mixed feelings this time of year - last year I decided everyone who quits by March needs to just give me $1 for the inconvenience. ;)